Saturday, February 12, 2011

Photos: Not Just For Books and Frames

We all know that photos can be preserved and enjoyed in scrapbooks and in picture frames, but have you ever used photos to personalize your decor? One of the things I love most about photography and crafting is the ability to create beautiful things that have meaning to me and my family. A few years ago I visited a friend who had some really cool, Afro-centric themed switch plates in her beautifully decorated basement. When we recently decided to create a media room in our basement I knew I had to do something special with the switch plates.  Check them out.




This is actually a very easy project to complete. Here is how:

  1. You can start with the existing switch plate as I did or start with a new one.
  2. Resize the image as necessary so that it will fit over the switch plate. I tinted my images to match the decor of the room.
  3. Print your image on regular printer paper. I find photo paper hard to deal with.
  4. Once you've determined the placement of the photo, apply Mod Podge to the front of the switch plate and the back of the photo. For best results make sure you apply to both.
  5. Apply photo to switch plate and smooth with your hands, being careful not to tear photo. Wrap excess around to the back of switch plate and trim as necessary.
  6. Carefully cut out the spot for the switch and poke through paper for the screws.
  7. Apply Mod Podge to the front of photo and let dry.

Just imagine the possibilities, I hope you try this. 

Camille

6 comments:

  1. I really like these! You did a great job! Thanks For Sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. hopefully, by the time you come over to 6420, I will have done 2 of these! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I just bought some new Modge Podge...nothing is safe! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My creative girlfriend. These are lovely. By the time I put all my kids on the light switches, I will be looking at them everywhere. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this concept, thanks for the directions will try this..nice blog, you have another new follower
    CraftCreationsbyNetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! I really love this.

    ReplyDelete